TAUNGURUNG LAND AND WATERS COUNCIL
CONDUCT CHARTER FOR RESERVED MEMBER OF THE FIRST PEOPLE’S ASSEMBLY OF VICTORIA
A. Taungurung Land and Waters Council (Aboriginal Corporation) (TLaWC) is:
- a registered Aboriginal party under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 (Vic); and
- the traditional owner group entity of Taungurung people under the Traditional Owner Settlement Act 2010 (Vic).
B. A company limited by guarantee, called First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria Ltd (ACN 636 189 412) (the “Assembly”), was incorporated by registration under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) on 13 September 2019.
C. TLaWC is a “Traditional Owner Group” under the constitution of the Assembly, and is entitled to appoint a representative to be a member of the Assembly (called a Reserved Member in Assembly’s constitution).
D. The rules of the Assembly set out the process for the appointment or removal of the Reserved Member of TLaWC.
- This charter sets out the expectations of TLaWC with respect to the accountability of its Reserved Member. Conduct requirements for the Reserved Member are set out in the Members’ Charter that apply under the Assembly’s constitution.REPORTING BACK
2. The Reserved Member will provide periodic reports to the directors of TLaWC concerning the business of the Assembly and its operations.
3. The reporting of the Reserved Member may be in writing, given in person or by electronic means.
4. The Reserved Member will provide a report either within 7 days in advance of each meeting of TLaWC directors or by attending the meeting in person.
5. TLaWC will provide good advance notice of its meetings to the Reserved Member.
KEEPING TLAWC INFORMED
6. The Reserved Member will provide copies of all Assembly documents that are intended for community consumption.
PARTICIPATING IN COMMUNITY FORUMS
7. At the invitation of the directors of TLaWC, the Reserved Member will attend such community forums for Taungurung people as are arranged by the directors.
FRANK AND HONEST COMMUNICATION
8. In all his or her communications with TLaWC, its directors and Taungurung people, the Reserved Member shall be frank and honest.
ACT IN BEST INTERESTS OF TLAWC MEMBERS
9. The Reserved Member must, in performing his or her official functions as a member of the Assembly, always act in the best interests of TLaWC members.
PUBLICITY OF GUIDELINES
10. This policy will be made publicly available, including on TLaWC’s website.