The traditional Taungurung people consisted of nine clans:
- Budhera-bulok – located on the Goulburn River at Seymour.
- Leuk-Yilam – located near Kilmore.
- Mum-mum-Yilam – lived west of the Campaspe River, and northwest of Mitchellstown.
- Naterrak-bulok – west of the Goulburn River near Seymour.
- Nira-bulok – meaning ‘Cave’, Kilmore
- Waring-Yilam-bulok – junction of the Yea River and Goulburn River.
- Yaran-Yilam-bulok – east side of the Goulburn River between Seymour and Mitchellstown.
- Yiran-Yilam-bulok – located on the Broken River above and below Benalla.
- Yawang-Yilam-bulok – located at Alexandria and Mansfield.
Sadly there are descendants of only five of those clan groups that survive today.